Sunday, January 27, 2013

ONE NEW THING WEEK 5

Okay...Back to more 'quilty' things!  For my new thing this week, I decided to tackle something I have wanted to try for ages!  It's no big deal, really. It was simply setting quilt blocks on point.  For some reason, the idea of doing this terrified me.  I think it was the setting triangles. I just couldn't seem to wrap my head around it. Anyway, I read tons a few tutorials, crossed my fingers, and pulled out my cutter!  Here's the result...


I'm absolutely thrilled with the way this turned out and I absolutely love it!  I bought this bundle of Annie's Farm Stand ages ago.  Here's a closeup of what I think is the cutest print...


These fabrics are so vintagey.  I wish I had enough to make curtains out of the seed print! I also love how the binding looks with the print on the back...


When I pulled this fabric out, I had forgotten that I had already cut a bunch of 3 1/2 inch squares for a patchwork quilt  I wasn't sure I had enough left over to put this quilt together.  After some 'creative' cutting and a little breath-holding, I managed to squeak out just enough after adding a few coordinating prints from my stash. Here's the pre-construction pile...


I didn't have enough fabric to cut five 8 inch squares for the setting triangles.  I was able to cut one, and after cutting it in half twice, I used one of the triangles as a template so I could use smaller pieces of fabric for the setting triangles.  Pretty clever if I say so myself.  Putting the top together was a breeze. I've always liked the look of blocks set on point and I'm looking forward to making many more of these!

2 comments:

  1. I really need to try setting blocks on point! Thanks for the inspiration. Your quilt looks great! I really think the on point setting adds energy to the quilt design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like it, too! Can't wait to do more!

      Delete