Wednesday, June 19, 2013

ONE NEW THING WEEK 25!

A few months ago I took a cake decorating course! It was great and I learned A LOT!  In fact, I can finally frost a cake without it looking like a 4-year-old did it! I learned lots of tips and tricks - especially how to avoid getting crumbs in the buttercream!
 
I decided to expand on my skills and give gum paste a try!  I bought a package of ready-made gum paste at Michael's, rolled it out and cut out tons of little flowers!  It rolled out perfectly and was overall very easy to work with!  Here's my finished cake...
 

 
I'm pretty pleased with the results!  This was made for my SIL for her birthday dinner!  The inside was a 3-layer vanilla cake.  It is covered in buttercream and I piped tiny little dots of yellow buttercream in the centre of each flower!  Despite the gum paste being so easy to work with, I don't think I will use it again. These little flowers were hard as rocks!  I took them off the cake before I cut it and after I took tons of a few pictures! Next time I'm going to give fondant a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment