Sunday, October 13, 2013


I'm back with something new for this week. Now, obviously, I've fallen quite far behind with 52 new things in 2013, but I'm going to see how many more I can do by the end of the year!  This week it's another quilting project!  Stippling on minky!  Here's the result...

A sweet little wholecloth quilt backed with minky. I've been wanting to try this for ages. My first attempt was a disaster.  I think I must have stretched the minky too much when I was basting the quilt. This time, I carefully taped the minky to the floor being careful not to stretch it.  I was advised to use spray basting as well as pins but discovered that my can of 505 had dried up.  (Jeez that stuff is expensive - the price sticker on the can says $16.95. I had bought it quite a while ago and forgot how pricey it is.) Anyway, I decided to give it a go with just pins! I also used a very thin polyester batting instead of the usual cotton/poly mix that I normally use.  I stuck with my regular Aurifil thread and used an 80/12 Organ needle. (If you haven't tried Organ needles, I highly recommend them, especially for FMQ.) I guess the quilting fairies were with me because I didn't have one problem - no thread breakage and no tucks in the minky at all! I did find the FMQ a little more difficult - it doesn't seem to slide over the machine as easily as cotton and it's a little more bulky to work with but otherwise there were no issues!  I rounded the corners on this quilt and attached the bias binding to the back of the quilt and machine sewed it down from the front side. Definitely not perfect but I like the security of machine sewn binding.  I'll definitely be making more of these little wholecloth quilts backed with minky!
Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment