Tuesday, July 9, 2013

ONE NEW THING WEEK 27!

Hello everyone...I'm back!
I'm posting from beautiful and HOT Osoyoos, BC.  We're back for our annual vacation! 

This week's new thing had to be something easy and portable!  For the longest time I have wanted to own a vintage quilt.  I've come across a few but they were either too damaged, not for sale, or too expensive!  And then I thought...why not make my own!!! On a recent road trip I stumbled upon a fabulous quilt shop in Kamloops.  In the shop was the most beautiful pickle dish quilt made with feedsack fabrics!  Unfortunately, it wasn't for sale. I fell in love with it and it's become an obsession!  The wonderful lady in the shop asked me if I had ever done English paper piecing. I said no, but I wanted to try it!  She gave me a little kit with papers, fabric squares, and instructions.  I pulled it out last night (after it cooled down and before the mosquitoes came out) and made these...

 
Seven little hexagons to be made into a flower!
I have to say though...I didn't follow the instructions that came in the little kit. Instead, I used the method described in this book which I had ordered a few weeks ago...
 

 
This book is wonderful. The author takes you through all the steps of EPP. There many great projects in the book ranging from very simple (a tiny sewing kit or hexagon pillow) to more complicated designs including several quilts!  My first project is going to be a hexagon pillow! I can see why this book is called 'Quilting on the Go.' EPP is definitely a great take-along project!
 
Also...I wanted to share a picture of the most incredible rainbow I have ever seen!  We had a bit of a rainstorm here a few nights ago.  When the clouds began to clear a double rainbow formed across the lake. I think this is the first time I have ever seen the end of a rainbow!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment