Wednesday, January 11, 2012

SOMETHING (REALLY) DIFFERENT!

When I first started quilting (about five or six years ago), I fell in love with all the vintage reproduction fabrics.  I took an applique workshop and made this sweet little quilt with Scottie dogs so I could practice my applique skills.  I wasn't sure how I wanted to quilt it, so I put it away with all my other UFOs (not that many)!  From time to time I would pull it out and think, Oh, this is so cute, I really should finish it, only to put it away again.  Well, about six months ago, I pulled it out again.  This time it was upgraded to a hanger on the back of a door and I even made a back for it. 



Here's a close-up of some of the Scotties!


Anyway, I've decided it's time to conquer my hand quilting fear and thought this would be the perfect project!  I think I have read probably a million (okay, maybe a dozen) tutorials on hand quilting.  Here's a picture of the basted quilt...


I'm wondering now if I used too many pins?  I'm worried about the layers shifting. I used all but about ten of my pins. I'm going to give it a try without a hoop or frame.  I'm going to keep the quilting fairly simple - just an outline of each dog and the inside of each square.  Wish me luck!  I'll post some pictures of my progress.  Maybe it's a good thing I used all my pins.  I need to get started on this or else I won't be able to baste any other quilts!



No comments:

Post a Comment