Sunday, January 29, 2012

AT LEAST IT WASN'T MY FINGER (THIS TIME) !


After a near-miss a few years ago, I've trained myself to concentrate when I'm cutting fabric.  That being said, things happen!  (I have a 1/2" scar on the top of my right foot to prove it. After that little mishap, my wonderful SIL bought me this cutter which automatically retracts the blade.  I had left the blade exposed on my old cutter and it fell off the table and onto my foot. Note to self:  Don`t cut fabric with bare feet!)  Anyway, I`m a little hearbroken about this. This was my mom`s tape measure and every time I take it out of my sewing box I think of her.  I can still hear her saying, "It's not a toy" whenever we used it to play with the cat (amongst other things)!  She would have my head right now if she knew and I would have to sit through a lecture on paying attention to the task at hand!  Sorry, mom!

Now, on to more fun things!  To the three people who read my blog, you may remember from my previous post that I was going to give hand quilting a try. Well, I did, not very successfully!  I did take some pictures but unfortunately the memory card in my camera failed and I had to reformat it consequently losing all the pictures.  Fortunately, I had already downloaded most of them to my computer, but did lose the ones of my hand quilting efforts.  Unfortunately, I picked it out and am now in the process of machine quilting the little scottie quilt.  You will just have to take my word for it on this one.  I'm not ready to give up on hand quilting entirely.  I love the look of vintage quilts with hand quilting and envision making one for myself some day.

In the meantime, I have been working on turning this...



into this...


This is a girl's version of the freeform patchwork quilt I made a while ago.  I had listed it in my shop and it sold a few days ago!  Hopefully, this one will too (if that's where it ends up)! I'm really enjoying this method of piecing.  It's no secret that I HATE pins, and I didn't use one when piecing the entire top!  I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the back - I have a few things in mind. I'll be sure to post some pictures of the finished quilt. 



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear it wasn't your finger! I've got to get one of those rotary cutters that automatically retract.

    I'm sure hand quilting is one of those skills that takes a little getting used to. You'll be a pro before you know it!

    Your orange and pink quilt looks cute, congrats that the other one sold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really going to have to persevere with the hand quilting. I LOVE vintage quilts and want to make myself one and I just can't see machine quilting it, so until then...I better start practising. I think I'm going to give hexagons a try and make a little doll quilt. Perhaps hand quilting on a smaller project might be a good way to start!

      Delete