Friday, April 17, 2015

I'M ON A ROLL (and a long-winded tutorial)!

In keeping with my plan to finish one WIP a month for the next year, here is April's finish...

A little background about this semi-wholecloth quilt. This started out as an experiment quite a few months ago. I wanted to try making a quilt using the sew and turn method, in other words making a quilt without the need for binding. I was worried about doing FMQ on this type of quilt, but decided to give it a try.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures along the way, but let me share with you my method for making this type of quilt! 
I first constructed the top which measures about 34 x 39 inches. I used a cute print for the centre and then simply added a 2 inch strip of solid to the bottom and top and then a coordinating print. 
This is where I got creative. I first sewed the top to the batting.  I cut a piece of batting a little larger than the top. I laid this on top of my ironing board and placed the quilt top on the batting wrong side down. I then pressed the top to the batting one section at a time moving it over the ironing board as I went. I then sewed the quilt top to the batting on my machine about 1/8 inch from the edge all the way around.  This left me with the top and batting as one unit which is much easier to work with than three pieces.
The next step was to sew the quilt top/batting to the backing fabric.  Again, I laid my backing fabric on my ironing board, right side up, and placed the quilt top/batting on top, right sides together, and pressed all three layers together adjusting it on the ironing board as I went. I then sewing them together with a 1/2 inch seem allowance all the way around leaving an opening of about 6 inches.
I turned the quilt inside out, gave it a good press, pin-basted it and did a double row of top stitching around the edge sealing the opening.
The next step was to FMQ it which was the part that made me nervous. With the edges of the quilt sealed I was worried about puckers on the back.  Much to my delight, it turned out perfectly with absolutely no issues.  I even tried a new quilting design, which, although not perfect, I'm pretty pleased with.  Here is a picture so you can see...
You can even see the little FMQ heart in the corner which I add to all my quilts.
Okay...I think this is my longest post ever. I hope my little tutorial is clear...if not, let me know and I will try to clarify it for you.
Linking up with Amanda Jean for Finish It Up Friday!
Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment